December 15, 2020 6:18 AM
With major snowstorms like Winter Storm Jonas, homeowners are reminded to keep preparedness top of mind. KOHLER Generators has put together a list of expert tips to help homeowners prepare for possible power outages.
Power Outage Safety Tips
- Turn off major appliances such as water heaters, stoves and air conditioning units. Unplug other appliances such as TVs, stereos, microwaves and computers. This will prevent damage to appliances and possible overloads to the system when power is restored.
- Leave one light on so you will be able to see when power is restored to your home.
- Have a battery-operated or weather radio, multiple flashlights and a battery-operated clock and fan, along with extra batteries.
- Stay away from fallen wires, flooded areas and debris. Treat all down wires and anything touching them as though they have electricity running through it.
- Familiarize yourself with your main electrical panel. You may have to turn off the main breaker or have to reset circuit breakers after an outage.
- Inspect the area around your electricity meter. If you detect or suspect any damage, call your local utility provider.
- Look into a standby generator that turns on automatically when power is lost to your home. A standby generator permanently attaches to a home and runs on propane or natural gas. Depending upon the size, a standby generator can automatically power all appliances and systems in a home, including lights, HVAC, sump pump, refrigeration and electronics.
To find a local KOHLER dealer near you, enter your ZIP code here.